Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) Policy
In all aspects of its exploration, project development and mining activities SMC is committed to providing a safe work environment where no injury or harm to health is considered acceptable and all activities are undertaken without compromising safety and health.
SMC believes that all injuries, industry related diseases and property losses are preventable and that striving continuously to improve the occupational health and safety of all workers and third parties who are impacted by our activities is fundamental to the success of our business.
Our overall policy objectives are to:
- Implement effective systems to identify, assess, control and monitor safety and health risks which include principle mining hazards.
- Develop, implement and review principle mining hazard plans.
- Assist individuals to understand their responsibilities for implementing and maintaining effective safety and health systems.
- Provide adequate resources, training, instruction and a documented safe system of work aimed at the elimination of work related injury and illness.
- Comply with applicable legal and regulatory requirements
- Set measurable objectives and targets to continuously improve our safety and health performance,
- Perform regular reviews to ensure that measurable occupational health and safety objectives and targets are met.
To assist in achieving these objectives we will:
Each manager and supervisor will provide leadership by ensuring that all work is undertaken with safety and health as the first priority and by ensuring that adequate resources are available to achieving the objectives of this policy.
Empower our People
Empower all workers on SMC’s sites to make decisions that will create a safe and healthy work place.
Take Personal Responsibility
All workers are responsible for maintaining their own safety and ensuring that we do not cause harm to others. By following safe work processes, identifying hazards and reporting incidents or near misses we can eliminate future workplace risks.
Maintain Effective Safety Systems
Provide and use safe systems to enable us to work without harm. SMC will consult workers in the development, implementation and review of our systems and relevant safety and health matters.
This policy will be communicated to our workers and suppliers, and is available to the public via the Company’s website.
Download a PDF of the SMC Workplace Health and Safety Policy here.